Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Beautiful Thing About Life...

is that you can change anything at any time. At least that's what my massage therapist told me after class yesterday, as I was beating myself up for ever taking a break for Bikram. During the 4 months that I was training for my first half-marathon, I stopped practicing yoga. I continued to stretch before and after my runs, but I still experienced muscle and tendon shortening. That's part of the reason that I am so gung ho about starting this challenge right now.



My poor, sore ankles after the 13.1 mile run

I visited Miami a few weeks ago and ran as many as ten miles on the beach. I felt very accomplished at the end, but also very sore. The next morning, I woke up and attended a 7 am Bikram class. I could not believe how my body had lost so much strength and balance, in spite of being able to run further than ever before. The difference was that, even with the challenges of the practice on that day, my body felt great afterwards. I am now a believer that Bikram helps to increase my strength, balance, flexibility, endurance, and mental stamina like no other single activity can do... sans the just got hit by a truck feeling.

Bikram Yoga- South Beach

Day 2, Class 2

10:00 with Rebecca R.

I'm stalling a little, because I wasn't so impressed with my performance in class. Doh! That's right! It's practice, not a performance. I don't ever have to be perfect or exactly right or look like everybody else. All I have to do is what my body wants and needs for that particular class. That's a relief. Self-judgement and deprecation stops now.



Practice Makes Perfect by Marcella Muhammad

I made progress in that my standing bow pulling and my standing head to knee poses were pretty good. I pressed through the burning and fear of cramping in my ankles and calves to maintain a decent postures of both sides. However... the simple 10 second balancing stick after that, wasn't happening. I did one set, got "getting-ready-to-throw-up dizzy" and sat down. I'm not beating myself up, but I am just not the sitting down type, usually. This has got to stop. Even after our talk yesterday, I did not hydrate as well as I needed to considering I was at a deficit to begin with. I need to start right now, drinking for my 11am class. BRB.


Ah... OK. The rest of the class was fine, although, I recognize that I did not give 100% effort during Triangle, which is one posture wherein we receive the greatest overall benefit. Lazy, just lazy. I also think I fell asleep a little in Wind-Removing. I don't know what that was about. That's never happened. Look alive, Jada!

I dozed off during this one... the reason they tell you not to close your eyes.

Physical Benefits: I completed the most challenging parts of the balancing series to build muscle strength (especially needed to support my ankles), improve concentration, and unify the mind body connection.

Postures that could use a little help: uh, balancing stick. tuh!

After class, I had a very productive day. As mentioned, I left class to go to a fabulous massage therapist who incorporated a lot of stretching into her routine. It was wonderful! I then went to work with a wellness client of my own. That is always an experience and was followed by a lecture on Art Collecting 101. My mother does it and I need to start too... the evolution continues.



Hammond House Museum

503 Peeples Street
Atlanta, GA

No comments:

Post a Comment