Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Life Source

Day 8, Class 10
3:30 with Tara

Thursdays are my Fridays and this Thursday ended for me early, so I am ready for the weekend, Baby! I was able to leave work in time to attend the 3:30 class, which I have never been able to do. This was good because I had a dinner planned with a few nutrition colleagues at 7, so now I won't be late. I was feeling good until I got to the massive road construction slow down at Clairemont and North Druid Hills. I began thinking that I was not going to make it to class after all. I started to breathe, meditate, visualize and set my intention on... OK, I weaved my way to the front of the line and the lights worked in my favor. I made it!


Outkast- "Feeling Good, Feeling Great. How are you?"

I arrived to meet a visiting teacher. I always enjoy hearing from new teachers, because they add different perspectives to the same postures that allow my body and my mind to process them in a variety of ways. This experience was no different. The class was small, so Tara was able to give lots of personal feedback, encouragement and attention. That was great. My challenging postures in the balancing series are not perfect, but are under my control. My ankles really are feeling better throughout class and beyond. Each class, I am also getting stronger in Triangle... may be the reason for that "open hip" feeling that I have right now (ouch!). I really pushed it today and yesterday. But the posture is so great, I'm excited to be reaping all of the benefits.


Trikanasana- Triangle works every muscle, tendon, joint and internal organ in the body.

Number one posture for the hip joint
Firms thighs and hips
Slims waist
Helps with rheumatism and lumbago in the lower spine
Improves crooked spines Minimizes "saddlebags"


During spine strengthening, Tara reminded us that our spines are our life's source. She went on to say that if we didn't have legs, we could live, although it may be a challenge. We could also live without arms, but we'd have to find different ways to get things done. But without our spine, she said, we couldn't live at all. As an OT, she's speaking my language. That gave me even more of a reason to push, pull, kick and hold with 110% effort during the floor series. I've even started bringing my knees closer together in Camel during the last two classes... looking for a Limbo contest to enter and win!
April is OT Month!

After class, I gladly encouraged two new students. One was convinced that she would never return. I told her to increase her hydration, read a little more about the practice and give it another try. The studio owner was trying to convince her of the same as I was leaving. I hope that he was successful. I left to go to my monthly meeting with fellow ATL world changers a.k.a. health counselors from Integrative Nutrition. We are an awesome group of people! I say that with as much humility as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment