Sunday, April 19, 2009

Get It In, Get It Out!

Bikram Yoga

Day 4, Class 5
10:00 with Eric

I went to bed early, but woke up at 2am, stayed up for a few hours and was too sleepy to make it to the 7:30 church service. I did wake up in time for a nice meditation and yoga preparation. The biggest challenge that I find with Bikram in the morning is getting in enough hydration and nutrients to be able to get through class, early enough that it can settle and be voided before class- so that the urge to tinkle or worse does not strike in the middle of some compression posture. There is a very delicate balance that needs to be found... hence the pre-class bathroom line at the studio this morning.
Ok, this is not my studio; it was an image that I couldn't resist during the half-marathon.

Today's class was all good. Before we started, I did ask my teacher for some help with one of my Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee posture. I received good correction on it that I hope to be able to carry into other my future practice. Again, my ankles during the balancing series were exquisitely painful. I did what I could... on a brighter note, I once again had my Toe Stand. YAY!
Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana
Standing Separate Leg Head To Knee

Among other things, it slims abdomen, waistline, hips, buttocks & upper thighs

During the floor postures, the instructor reminded us that our spines are designed to bend in all four directions. It's only for lack of movement that it loses flexibility in any of the four directions. Yoga helps to reclaim that flexibility, but it is also beneficial in preventing that loss at all. Because of the intricate relationship of the central nervous system and the vertebrae, we could really attribute a great deal of health and longevity to the health of the spine; well beyond back and neck pain. Those dry, brittle, mal-nourished bones can more easily break, narrow and/or slip out of place to impinge nerve and arterial supplies to muscle groups and organs. Contrary to popular belief, we do not lose flexibility because we get older, we lose it because we stop moving in a particular way. A healthier spine means a healthier me.

Healthy and Happy Backbending Baby

Toward the end of class, I REALLY tried to lift my heels off the floor during the Head to Knee with Intense Stretching. As the name would suggest, it was quite, uh... intense. I am going to do more of that in the future. This posture is amazing. I'm not sure that I will ever reach the full expression of it, but I will continue to try. A few of its visceral benefits include:

Increases circulation to liver, spleen and pancreas
Stimulates thymus gland, digestion and immune system
Powerfully massages all the abdominal organs
Stimulates and tones the digestive organs, increases peristalsis, relieves constipation and other problems
Regulates function of the pancreas, assisting those with diabetes or hypoglycemia



This is a different way to get my heels off the ground, but with fewer health benefits.

Another great class and another feeling of accomplishment! After class, I was reminded of one of the reasons the exercise is such an essential part of a personal training or weight loss regimen. I went into the convenient store and could have had any bag of chips or candy bar that I wanted. Even as a nutrition consultant, that's not totally beneath me from time to time. However, what I notice is that the more often I work out, the healthier my choices throughout the day. My cravings decrease and my desire to prepare my body for the physical feat increases. While I am strengthening and stretching on the outside, I am also showing lots of love on the inside. Not to mention that I do not want to spend any amount of money ingesting any junk that is the equivalent or more calories than what I just worked so hard to burn. I left that store completely satisfied with a bottle of water. Now, I am going to go prepare something to eat that does not come in a package.

No comments:

Post a Comment