Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's Getting Hot in Herrrrre

Day 10, Class 12
4:30 with Heath at Decatur Hot Yoga

I started the day with the Ray of Hope prayer breakfast, featuring Rev. Millicent Hunter. It was awesome! Each woman there was truly blessed. My perspective on many aspects of my life has evolved as a result of hearing that Word. In attending the breakfast, I missed the Saturday a.m. classes at the studio. I had no choice but to wait until the 4:00 class on this bee-yoo-ti-ful day. This is as close to dreading a class as I've come since beginning the challenge, but it was only because I wanted to play in the sunshine.


Prince- "Play in the Sunshine" from Sign o' the Times

Because *insert excuse*, I was literally 2 minutes late for class and the doors were indeed locked. This has never happened to me before. I peeked in and the class was already on Pranayama Breathing. I couldn't be mad, especially since I was two classes ahead. I did pout a little, walked to my car and planned a massive takeover of Ross and/or Target. I pulled into the plaza parking lot, then began to weigh my options. I can always shop for cute junk that I won't use or wear, but I could also take a run around Stone Mountain. More than anything, my body was ready for Bikram. I looked up information for Decatur Hot Yoga. I had never been, but I was willing to go for the experience. I've heard great things about it... I'm not looking for a new studio, I just wanted to drop in for today. Guess what. There was a hot class starting at 4:30. Again with the weaving through Decatur, I made it back downtown in the nick of time! I was sweating already. They were expecting me and I was grateful that they held the class while I paid, registered, and got settled. The studio was very cute and I was open to something new in my favorite part of town.

Downtown Decatur Courthouse

The first thing that I noticed was that the mat set-up was different, but the same as another studio that I once visited... can't remember which one. The mats were parallel to the front mirror and not everyone used a top towel. I can adapt. This was no big deal. The next thing I noticed was Heath's very calming tone, which my-frazzled-self really needed. I relaxed enough to notice that I was showing the most skin. Apparently, I was the only one auditioning for a Nelly video after class. I always practice in boy shorts and a bra top. I don't seem to stand out as much in my own studio. This bothered me for about 18 seconds, then I moved on to thoughts that would improve, rather than hinder my practice.


Nelly- I can help him with his Pranayama breathing...
"I am getting so hot, I wanna take my clothes off"

I was hotter than normal and I did not know whether it was the day itself, the room, or me. I can't spend any energy figuring it out, so I just used the heat to deepen the postures and increase my mental stamina. I had a really nice class and I even got a "beautiful, Jada" on my Standing Bow Pulling Pose. I must have been trying to rep my studio, because I held each balancing posture for the designated times and felt great. In my mind, I was not going to tell the instructor where I practice. However, on my way down to Balancing Stick, I noticed my eco-BYD-water bottle. I was sure that he had as well. I never know if there is any beef between studios in the same area and in particular, Bikram studios vs. Hot classes.
Tuladandasana- Balancing Stick aka Heart Attack Prevention Posture


The forward tilt of the torso sends high-speed blood pouring into the heart, especially the neglected lower region, cleaning out the veins and all the arteries, strengthening the heart muscle. The same rejuvenating flood rushes into the brain as well. It is one of the best exercises for bad posture and heart health. Naturally, it also strengthens the power of concentration.

My standing series felt really great and Heath gave us the opportunity to acknowledge our practice with out hands in Namascar before turning the mats, then going to the ground. I only rationale that I can come up with for this set-up is that everyone has a clear view of themselves in the front mirrors during Triangle, which is a good thing... speaking of Triangle, Heath called the posture "Bikram's Triangle". That closed the case on something that had crossed my mind. Bikram's Triangle is indeed different from the traditional Triangle, but I never heard anyone acknowledge that.

On the floor, things started to change a little. The postures
themselves were the same, but there were a few additions and deletions throughout the series in between postures. After Fixed Firm, which Heath called something else, we rested in a Child's Pose. That felt really nice, but is not a part of the Bikram practice. I welcomed it without judgement. Also, there were fewer Savasanas and Sit-ups in between postures. This made the floor series have a different flow- not better or worse, just different. Just before the final breathing exercise, Heath turned out the lights; only a few candles in the front illuminated the room. This was different for me because I usually take this time to exchange energy through my own eyes in the mirror at the end of class. I missed that. However, the night-night lighting was great for the Final Savasana...


Then, just when I thought it was over, I could not believe this: Heath returned to the room to place a cool, wet, lavender infused hand-towel over each pair of eyes. I was in heaven and felt fully rewarded for having pressed my way to class. I began thinking about my conversation with ladies the day before regarding having to rush out of class. I can bet that they would find a few minutes to wait on these gems at the end of class. I often lose track of time after class, but I know that I must have lay there for an additional 3-5 minutes while I tried to inhale and absorb every ounce of lavender. *breathe*

After class, Heath invited me to attend their Silent Bikram class. I was honored and intrigued. I have never attended a silent class. The idea is that other practitioners are in the room, practicing at the same time, but each is his or her own teacher. That sounds divine. I am going to consider dropping into some of these classes when I have completed the first 30 days at my studio. I would love to expand my practice in this way. I am so glad that God and I made a way to attend this class... I didn't want anymore doubles than I had to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment