Friday, April 24, 2009

It's Friday, You Ain't Got No Job...

Day 9, Class 11
10:00 with Susan

I typically do not work on Fridays. So Fridays are always great, but Fridays as beautiful as this one are absolutely magnificent! The weather is absoultely perfect: clear, sunny, and breezy. I am bound and determined to start using my reusable tote bags during shopping... so I got up early and went to buy a few more. Target has... had some pink and green ones on clearance. I scooped them up before class, now I'll never forget...


I was one of the first to arrive in class, so I had the opportunity to talk with another student who I just found out is going to Bikram training on Sunday- for 2 months. That is wonderful. This man is already such an inspiration. He has been doing Bikram doubles for months. Last week, I was feeling as if he were there every time I was, no matter when I was. Now I know why.

Pops to Craig in Friday: "How come every time I'm in the kitchen, you in the kitchen?"

This will be great. The other studios that I have visited have a lot of male teachers. My studio only has one, and he's the owner. It will be good for some of the male students to have that additional masculine presence at the studio. I'm so excited for him! The training sounds amazing. Hmmm... Should I...?

I walked into class with some of the pains of womanhood, hoping that the heat would help. It did. Today's class was awesome! It was an intimate group, but the energy was great. I think that everybody had a really nice class. My Standing Bows lasted and with less pain in the ankles. My Toe Stands were great! I am really getting a little deeper in each pose and the heat is a non-issue, for the most part. That sweltering feeling does go away with more practice. During Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee, when we are to go for that "choked feeling" to stimulate the thyroid, parathyroid and pituitary glands, Susan mentioned that we should just appreciate the posture right then for all of its benefits, rather than thinking about when we're coming out. She then weaved that same mindset into our daily living, stating that we should always appreciate the present and learn the lessons and see the blessings in every moment... I'm paraphrasing... but it was just a nice reminder to slow down in all things. I can't understand why non-Bikram yogis think that there is no spiritual component to this style. I gain plenty of insight from each class that I can fully incorporate into my life.


Alicia Keys- "I don't wanna forget that the present is a gift..."
Like You'll Never See Me Again

After class, in the changing room, there was a discussion about the final 2-minute Savasana. At my studio, we honor the full-expression (duration) of the posture and are instructed not to leave until the music is piped into the room. That is always 2 minutes after the teacher has left the room. It was instilled in me from the very beginning that that was, indeed the final posture, not just an optional time of rest. Just as we would not be able to skip or shorten any other posture, we should not this one. Some students were saying that they had to leave for other obligations. I really just feel as though class is over when it's over. I mentioned that I've not seen other studios use the music as a cue- the 2 minutes is more of a suggestion than a mandate. Each time, several students begin getting up at 15 seconds and even if they are not talking, it does interrupt the intended stillness of the posture and the absorption of the previous 88 minutes. I'm not saying that it's easy to lie there during that time. I'm not saying that there aren't days when the 2 minutes feels like 10 and I start imagining the song signal in my head. I'm simply saying that I appreciate and understand the reason for the instructions at the end. I was in the minority, but on the side of the person in charge, so there!

Today would have been a great day for back to back classes, but I had to move on to another appointment. I left the option open to return to the 4:30 class. I ended up enjoying the rest of the beautiful day at Atlantic Station. No worries. I love Fridays!

No comments:

Post a Comment