Monday, May 4, 2009

I Am Kali Ma

Day 19, Class 18
6:30 with Eric

I am back from Cincinnati where I pigged out on local favorites, ironcially, during the Flying Pig Marathon weekend. I should have been running in it. Next year, I will plan on it.

11th Annual Flying Pig Marathon

Today was a long first day back to work after a long weekend I did not entertain skipping class, but I did wonder how many postures I could sit through without being a distraction. When I arrived at the studio, I purchased a new Yogitoes skidless towel. They are my favorite and the washing rotation is not going exactly as it needs to, especially with doubles occuring more frequently. I selected a black towel just because it looked cool. The packaging was even cooler. It was from Yogitoes' Deity collection. My towel is Kali Ma- "The Black Goddess that takes away darkness from every devotee who strives in the path of perfection". Love it! There are four other Deities in this collection and I may end up with all of them before these 90 days are over. The best part is that a portion of the proceeds from the towel benefits the Yogitoes Fund, which benefits children who are impoverished, orphaned, sick, physically challenged, or otherwised socially disadvantaged. I really love that!

Kali Ma

Class was going well, but it was noticebly more humid than previous class. I thought it was just me until Eric made an observation about how wet it was in the class and in Georgia, in general. He then went one to say that after practicing Bikram for 10 years, his allergies have improved and he his not as adversly affected by the heat outdoors. I can see that. Speaking of adversity, during the 2 minute Savasana, he talked about how Bikram's postures, teaching style, the heat and all that creates the practice, was uniquely designed so that the Bikram yogis would be able to face life's adversity outside of class, as well as inside. It's true! I feel a lot more capable and confident in real life after a class or during a challenge. There is a definite carry over. It's so obvious. It's so worth it.


"When Life Presents a Challenge... Take Your Shot"

During another Savasana, Eric bought up the importance of proper hydration and nutrition during the practice. This is key. He said that many people asked him about supplements to take to improve... or jsut get them through practice. He then stated that we can get all of the nutrients we need from eating well-balanced and consistent meals. It's so true. We try to do it all the hard way, thinking that a capsule is better than an apple. Whole foods is more than the name of a store, people!

Wonderful Book!

I let my hair down to enjoy the remaining Savasanas. My locs were wet, even toward the ends. It was HOT! I survived, but each time I arose from Half-Tortoise and Rabbit, I looked like Cousin It... pretty funny. I enjoyed this entire class. Eric is the only teacher who I actually hear say to enjoy the class. That in and of itself is somewhat of a joke considering the conditions, but today, I saw myself smiling, smurking and giggling throughout class. Nice!

Cousin It from the Adams Family

Manana es Cinco de Mayo! Ole'! Time for another re-tox already?

No comments:

Post a Comment