Tuesday, May 26, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

Day 36, Class 35
Friday, May 22, 2009
6:00 am with Cynthia in Alexandria, VA

I arrived in D.C. on Thursday night for the fabulous, highly anticipated, annual belly dance conference. My cousin picked me up and we had dinner at the Chart House in Olde Towne, Virginia... is that too many silent e's? Anyway, we enjoyed sea bass and drinks and I was all the while preparing the both of us for my 6:00am hot yoga class. I really wanted to go, but I also knew that I had lots of dancing to do over the next three days at BOCA.

The Founder of the BOCA Dance, Yoga and Wellness Expo

Although I am a real morning person, I have never taken a Bikram class this early. I was a little intimidated by it all, but was glad that I could take one while out of town so that I would not get too much further behind. My beloved cousin had to drive me because I don't know how to drive her car that's a stick. She tried to teach me in '96 when I stayed the Summer with her, but I didn't catch onto it. We REALLY did wake up in time to go. I set my alarm, but said that if I didn't feel it, we didn't have to go. I was feeling it like the Jacksons!


When we arrived at the studio, which was at the end of a warehouse row, I was nervous and excited. I never know what these new classes and teachers are going to bring and I always want to represent for my studio. I oriented myself and began to prepare for class. The studio was very open and large compared to mine. It even has spaces for massage therapy treatment rooms. There are obviously other types of fitness classes being taught, but I didn't get a chance to see which ones. My practice was good, especially for being so early... I keep saying that, don't I? Before class, I mentioned to the teacher that I had a pulled hamstring and that I was still taking care of myself in certain postures. Right at the beginning of class, she informed me that they keep ice packs in the freezer at the back of class. I think that's a nice touch... and I took full advantage during the final Savasana, so that it would not be inflamed during dancing.


After class, the instructor said that I had a "strong practice with a lot of focus and discipline". I have also heard similar comments from instructors in New York and at another local studio. I accepted the compliment and e-mailed Eric (my studio's owner) that I owe all of that to them. I don't consider my studio to be strict, mean, militant or unreasonable. I don't think they are Bikram Nazi's, but I do respect them for instilling discipline during the practice and explaining why. Plus, as I've been saying here, all along, they each infuse a tremendous amount of anatomy, physiology, origin, rationale, antecdotes and life lessons that make it easier to get through my practice and my day.


No Savasna for you!

During her opening remarks, the instructor said that it would be OK for someone to leave the class if necessary. Our instructors say "please stay in the room at all times; take a break if you need to, stand there, sit down or lay down and the discomfort or sensation usually passes". I have yet to see one person leave the room. No one left this particular class, either. I just thought it was a little strange that she even put it out there. At this studio, and at others, there was so much wiping and drinking between postures... even drinking sports drinks. We only drink regular water during our classes. Two people came in late to the class and one had to take of jacket, pants and shoes during Pranayama breathing. I had never seen such. That's impossible at my studio, because the doors are locked a few minutes before class. The even instructor let a new student stand in the front, which was terribly distracting. They also use handtowels for every gripping posture. I think I have become a Bikram snob, but I don't mind. I like to practice the way I like to practice. Again, class wasn't bad, just a little lax... one more class out of the way.

Yoga Snob
AT BOCA, I was able to shake my shimmy for 3 days straight, for eight hours at a time. I met and reunited with some of the most fabulous dancers in the world. I learned some nice routines, experimented with different dance styles, and had a fabulous massage at Maisie Dunbar's Spa in Silver Spring, MD. I learned a lot about my yoni and I had a wonderful time with my big and little cousins. I am definitely going to do it again next year.
Amar Gamal and Kaeshi Chai of Bellyqueen
Featured BOCA Instructors and Performers

No comments:

Post a Comment