Monday, May 11, 2009

Sweet and Sweaty

Day 26, Class 28
6:30 with Rebecca R.

I had a long day at work that lasted longer than usual, plus I'm still dealing with the emotional stress of this other junk. In other words, I did not want to go to class... nor did I want to do anymore doubles than I have to, so to class I go. The class was the fullest that I had seen in a while. Everybody wanted to practice yoga today.

OK- It wasn't THIS crowded, but still...

Rebecca started by adjusting people and laying down the rules regarding wiping sweat, wiggling around, adjusting clothes and even looking around. She is so sweet, but she's also pretty hardcore. She talks about not moving the towels during the three side postures and being able to practice yoga in any environment rather than adjusting the environment to practice yoga. I've never understood the purpose of moving the towels, so I don't and I only wipe that sweat when it's salty or lotion-y and getting into my eyes. Right now, as long as I am drinking plenty of water and washing my face before class. I'm good.


Yoga Anywhere

I was so glad that I pressed though to come to class, because my postures were actually looking and feeling pretty great. My Standing Bow Pulling pose was really nice on both sides and in both sets. The next time that they are feeling that good, I think that I will try to bring my supporting hand down from my ankle and closer to my knee, as is called for in the full posture.
This is a cute piece of jewelry that I may treat myself to when this is all over with.

During class, Rebecca gave all kinds of quotable nuggets, but I cannot not remember even one right now. I hope that they return to my conscience at some point when I really need them. In the meantime, my co-worker shared with me a quote from a guru on running, Dr. George Sheehan.

"Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places a shower will never reach." That's exactly right. Sheehan and Bikram are both notoriously nuts about their practices. I wonder how they would feel about each other. Bikram calls running and most other sports, "mental masturbation" and Sheehan thinks that anyone who doesn't run is basically a wuss.


Day 26 came a lot faster than it did last year, maybe because I'm still going on beyond 30, or maybe I'm just in a different place in my practice and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment